Jack Ruby and the Fair Play for Cuba Commitee.
curtjester1
2008-02-12 02:18:35 UTC
If Jack Ruby was just your garden variety night club owner, why did he
know to correct DA Henry Wade when he told the press after LHO's arrest
that Oswald belonged to the wrong Cuban organisation? Even if he knew the
information for completely benign reasons, to actually correct the DA at a
press conference indicates he was making sure certain information made it
into the public's consciousness.
To me, that indicates a level of knowlege of Oswald and his activities
(along with Cuban affairs) that is a bit close for comfort.
I'm not so sure. Ruby (and others) said he was following radio and
other news reports very closely, and the FPCC name had been repeated
many times since late afternoon. And he wasn't the only one who siad
the correct name at the Wade interview. I hear at least 3 voices in
there.
At 3:45 A.M. Arnold Clyde Gaydosh saw and talked to Ruby on the 3rd floor
of the Dallas Times Herald Building as Ruby was working on ads for the
temporary closing of his Vegas and Carousel Clubs. A short while later
(4:00 am. Nov. 23) Arthur Weatherwax and Roy A. Pryor saw Ruby in the
composing room and talked with him. They said Ruby appeared in good
spirits and told Pryor during a press confrence, when District Atty Henry
Wade said that Oswald was a member of an (sic) anti-Castro organization,
he (Ruby) had corrected WAde and told him it was a pro-Castro
organization.

WC testimony of Roy A. Pryor, 15 H 557-59; WC testimony of Arthur
Weatherwax, 15 H 566.

CJ
Walt
2008-02-12 22:55:25 UTC
yeuhd
2008-02-13 03:59:16 UTC
Post by Walt
There are several serious questions raised by Ruby's outburst.....
A) What was Ruby doing there in the first place? He wasn't a reporter
but he pretended that he was a reporter to gain entrance to the
midnight "press conference".
I think you have answered your own question. Ruby was a perpetual
hanger-on who loved to be in the middle of wherever the action was. He
was in particular a police groupie.
Post by Walt
C) He called Henry Wade by his first name when he corrected the DA.
He must have known the DA pretty well to call him "Henry"
Ruby was known for learning the names of authority figures and then
calling them by their first names to give others the impression he
knew them.

Wade recognized Ruby as being someone he had seen around before, but
assumed he was a reporter.

Mr. WADE. I was asked that. And I said, well, now, I don't know about
that but they found some literature, I understand, some literature
dealing with Free Cuba Movement. Following this -- and so I looked up
and Jack Ruby is in the audience and he said, no, it is the Fair Play
for Cuba Committee. Well, he corrected me, you see, to show you why I
got attracted to his attention, why someone in the audience would
speak up and answer a question.
Mr. DULLES. You hadn't known him before?
Mr. WADE. I had never known him, to my knowledge. He is a man about
town, and I had seen him before, because when I saw him in there, and
I actually thought he was a part of the press corps at the time.
Post by Walt
D) How did an apparent two bit thug like Jack Ruby know the difference
between The Fair Play for Cuba Committee, ( pro Castro) And the Free
Cuba Committee ( anti Castro) Only those actually involved in the
overthrow of Castro would be likely to know the difference.
Ruby was one of several people at the press conference who shouted out
the correction to Wade -- none of whom, I am guessing, were involved in
the overthrow of Castro. Oswald's association with the Fair Play for
Cuba Committee had been reported on radio and television since about 4
p.m. that afternoon, eight hours earlier. Months before the
assassination, Oswald's association with FPCC, and his street scuffle
with anti-Castro Cubans, had been reported in the newspapers, on
radio, and on television in New Orleans.
Post by Walt
Immediately after Ruby's outburst the "silent press conference" was
terminated.
Not true. Eleven more questions were asked and answered. See CE 2169,
a transcript of the press conference with District Attorney Henry Wade
at 12:30 a.m. on November 23, 1963:

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh24/html/WH_Vol24_0424a.htm
Post by Walt
The idea of a "press conference" in which reporters were
told that they could not ask Oswald any questions is utterly absurd.
Where do you get that the reporters were told they could not ask
Oswald any questions?

Walt
2008-02-13 03:11:04 UTC
Post by curtjester1
[...]